Search for remains of slain women at Manitoba landfill to start in fall

  • Canadian Press

WINNIPEG -- The search of a Winnipeg-area landfill for the remains of two slain First Nations women is scheduled to begin in late fall.

The Manitoba government has released a timeline and other details from its plan to search the Prairie Green landfill.

Premier Wab Kinew says the province is to lead the search and work with an oversight committee, which includes the victims' families, an Indigenous elder and anthropology experts.

Construction of a healing centre at the landfill is expected to be completed next month.

The government announced last week that environmental regulators had given it the green light to search the landfill for the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran.

The province's former Progressive Conservative government refused a search, saying asbestos and other toxic materials at the landfill would be too dangerous.

Jeremy Skibicki has admitted to killing Harris, Myran and two other Indigenous women, but his lawyers have told a murder trial he should be found not criminally responsible due to mental illness.

This report by was first published June 20, 2024.