Referendum on a referendum: Albertans to vote on putting separation on another ballot

  • Canadian Press

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith speaks during the announcement of the 2028 World Cup of Hockey is being hosted in Alberta, in Edmonton, Monday March 16, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson

EDMONTON -- Premier Danielle Smith says Albertans will be going to the polls in October to cast their vote on separation - but they won't actually be voting on whether to separate.

Instead, they'll be choosing whether or not it's time to hold a binding referendum on quitting Canada.

Smith made the announcement in a televised address Thursday night, saying it's the best solution to fight for the country while giving a justifiable voice to those who no longer feel that Canada works for them.

"Kicking the can down the road only prolongs a very emotional and important debate," Smith said in the pre-recorded speech.

"Muzzling the voices of hundreds of thousands of Albertans wanting to be heard is unjustifiable in a free and democratic society.

"It's time to have a vote, understand the will of Albertans on this subject, and move on."

The question will be: "Should Alberta remain a province of Canada or should the government of Alberta commence the legal process required under the Canadian Constitution to hold a binding provincial referendum on whether or not Alberta should separate from Canada?"

It becomes the 10th question in the referendum, previously set for Oct. 19. The other questions ask about immigration reform and constitutional concerns.

Smith said she shares past frustrations with the federal government but that under Prime Minister Mark Carney they are making progress on developing Alberta's natural resources.

She knows that's not enough for some, she added.

"The vast majority of those advocating for separation love our province profoundly," she said. "Many are also proud Canadians that have simply lost hope that their families can flourish within Canada.

"So instead of attacking these loyal Albertans, let's work together to restore hope in their country again."

Smith's speech is the latest step in a separation debate that has roiled the province for more than a year and spawned two competing petitions putting forward questions on Alberta's role in Confederation.

One petition was a successful pro-Canada campaign organized by former Alberta deputy premier Thomas Lukaszuk. It garnered more than 400,000 signatures last year.

Its question: "Do you agree that Alberta should remain in Canada?"

Earlier Thursday, United Conservative Party government members on a committee studying what to do with the petition voted to ask Smith to use it as the basis for the referendum.

Lukaszuk said deviation from his petition's wording is further proof Smith alone is responsible for the referendum and is ignoring the nearly half a million Albertans who signed his petition.

"Her only goal right now is saving her political skin and remaining the leader of the United Conservative Party and the premier, as opposed to doing what's good for our province and for our country," he said.

The second petition was organized by a separatist group called Stay Free Alberta. Earlier this month, it submitted what it said are more than 300,000 names in support of a referendum on quitting Canada.

That petition, however, was halted last week by a judge. Several First Nations had argued the petition process was unconstitutional and void because it failed to consult First Nations.

The judge agreed.

Smith, in her speech, said that decision is the driving force behind the new referendum question.

"This ruling fundamentally misinterprets the nature of the duty to consult, which was never meant to prevent citizens from making their voices heard through a democratic process," she said.

"I, as premier, will not have a legal mistake by a single judge silence the voices of hundreds of thousands of Albertans.

"That's not the Alberta way."

Smith said the government is appealing the ruling but it could take years and go all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation, which was part of the court challenge, said in a statement that Smith can't sidestep her government's duty to consult First Nations.

"Listen to us. Listen to the courts," said Chief Allan Adam.

"There is still an opportunity to step back from this dangerous path and engage in meaningful dialogue that respects treaty relationships, the Constitution and the rule of law."

The Opposition NDP said Smith has behaved as both an arsonist and a firefighter in the last year. While she wants to stay in Canada, her government has changed the rules -- such as lowering signature requirements -- to get separation on the ballot and appease hardliners in her party, it said.

Smith said she will make her voice heard when she marks her ballot in October.

"I will therefore be voting for Alberta to remain in Canada, while continuing to work each and every day to restore and strengthen provincial rights under the Canadian Constitution.

"Canada was founded on this very principle."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 21, 2026.