Panel concludes Quebec energy deal is not good enough for Newfoundland and Labrador
ST. JOHN'S -- A panel appointed by the Newfoundland and Labrador government says a proposed energy deal with Hydro-Quebec is not in the province's best interests.
Topics
While National Newswatch does not keep an archive of external articles for longer than 6 months, we do keep all articles written by contributors who post directly to our site. Here you will find all of the contributed and linked external articles from Sarah Smellie.
ST. JOHN'S -- A panel appointed by the Newfoundland and Labrador government says a proposed energy deal with Hydro-Quebec is not in the province's best interests.
ST. JOHN'S -- Hydro-Quebec fought to hide decades-old correspondence about a proposed aluminum smelter, saying its details could derail ongoing energy negotiations with Newfoundland and Labrador.
ST. JOHN'S -- The Newfoundland and Labrador government is looking for someone to clean up 110 vats of rotting fish sauce left behind in a long-abandoned factory in St. Mary's, N.L.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador's information and privacy commissioner says governments need to work together to hold big technology companies to account.
ST. JOHN'S -- A draft deal between hydroelectric utilities in Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador is set to expire Thursday, but at least one premier is keen to keep negotiating.
ST. JOHN'S -- A draft deal between hydroelectric utilities in Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador has expired, but at least one premier is keen to keep negotiating.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador's new budget is projecting a $688.5-million deficit for the 2026-27 fiscal year with no end in sight to annual shortfalls.
ST. JOHN'S -- The Newfoundland and Labrador government has approved hikes in greenhouse gas emissions at a nickel mine in northern Labrador and the Cenovus-owned White Rose oilfield off the coast of St. John's.
ST. JOHN'S -- Former Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Danny Williams donated more than $46,000 to the Progressive Conservatives ahead of last year's election in a province where corporations and individuals can make political contributions as large as they want.
ST. JOHN'S -- The Newfoundland and Labrador government has overhauled its process for awarding contracts after false citations thought to be generated by artificial intelligence turned up in two reports, including one prepared by Deloitte Canada.
ST. JOHN'S -- Two governments appear to disagree on who will pay to clean up an abandoned rural Newfoundland fish sauce factory that has tormented residents with its fetid stench for years.
ST. JOHN'S -- The head of Newfoundland and Labrador's health authority says a review is coming soon of invoices paid to a private travel nurse agency flagged for possible billing fraud by the province's auditor general.
ST. JOHN'S -- The federal government is defending its decision to award a contract worth up to $1.1 million for advice on deploying artificial intelligence to a Canadian branch of Deloitte, a global consulting firm that is under fire for AI-related blunders.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador's new premier launched a review of a major draft energy deal with Hydro-Quebec on Monday, promising a three-person panel will investigate whether the agreement best serves the cash-strapped province.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador's College of Physicians and Surgeons has suspended the licence of the province's top-billing doctor.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Tony Wakeham says he is heading to Ottawa later today with demands for Prime Minister Mark Carney.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador's new premier has published a resignation letter from an accountant who quit a panel overseeing the province's energy negotiations with Quebec's hydro utility, defying the former Liberal government's choice to keep the note hidden.
MABOU -- Some in Cape Breton are angry and preparing to fight as a nearby golf course developer eyes the windswept beaches of West Mabou Beach Provincial Park.
ST. JOHN'S -- The leader of Newfoundland and Labrador's Liberals says he plans to stay on and fight as his party seeks recounts in three districts following a surprise defeat in this month's provincial election.
ST. JOHN'S -- The premier of Quebec says he is committed to working with Newfoundland and Labrador following election results that have cast doubt on a tentative energy deal between the provinces.
ST. JOHN'S -- Voters in Newfoundland and Labrador showed they were in the mood for a big change on Tuesday by ousting the governing Liberals after ten years in power and handing a slim majority win to the Progressive Conservatives.
ST. JOHN'S -- Voters in Newfoundland and Labrador showed they were in the mood for a big change on Tuesday by ousting the governing Liberals after ten years in power.
ST. JOHN'S -- The Progressive Conservatives will form a majority government in Newfoundland and Labrador.
ST. JOHN'S -- The Canadian Press is projecting that the Progressive Conservatives will form the next government in Newfoundland and Labrador.
ST. JOHN'S -- Voters in Newfoundland and Labrador showed they were in the mood for a big change on Tuesday by ousting the governing Liberals after ten years in power and handing a slim majority win to the Progressive Conservatives.
ST. JOHN'S -- After a tough, see-saw battle between Newfoundland and Labrador's two main political parties, the Progressive Conservatives appeared to be holding a lead over the governing Liberals on Tuesday night, getting the Tories very close to a surprise majority win.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador's Liberals and Progressive Conservatives traded the lead so many times on Tuesday night that election observers may have gotten whiplash.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador's Liberals were pulling ahead of the Progressive Conservatives on Tuesday night in the ballot count after an election campaign largely focused on a proposed multibillion-dollar energy deal with Quebec.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador's Liberals were pulling ahead of the Progressive Conservatives on Tuesday night in the ballot count after an election campaign largely focused on a proposed multibillion-dollar energy deal with Quebec.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador's Liberals and Progressive Conservatives are locked in a tight race after an election campaign that saw them sparring over the fate of a multibillion-dollar energy deal.
ST. JOHN'S -- The polls have closed across Newfoundland and Labrador after an election campaign that saw the governing Liberals promising to conclude a multibillion-dollar energy deal that they say will deliver economic salvation to the financially fragile province.
ST. JOHN'S -- Voters in Newfoundland and Labrador head to the polls today to elect their next provincial government. Here are four things to keep an eye on as the results roll in.
ST. JOHN'S -- How can Newfoundlanders and Labradorians be sure that a proposed new energy agreement with Hydro-Quebec is a good deal?
ST. JOHN'S -- Business and taxpayer organizations are calling on party leaders in Newfoundland and Labrador to stop making costly election promises, as the province carries the country's highest per-capita provincial debt.
ST. JOHN'S -- Dozens of people grappling with the aftermath of devastating fires in eastern Newfoundland packed a community hall Wednesday night to share their grief, fear and frustration and take a collective step toward recovery.
ST. JOHN'S -- A woman who launched a court challenge seeking changes to the electoral system in Newfoundland and Labrador is once again running for provincial politics -- in two districts.
ST. JOHN'S -- As members of Newfoundland and Labrador's main political parties travel the province to campaign for votes, their signs, pamphlets, buses and gas bills are paid for in part by unions and private companies.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador's housing minister says the provincial election campaign won't stall talks with the federal government about compensation for people who lost homes to wildfires this year.
ST. JOHN'S -- The leaders of Newfoundland and Labrador's largest political parties took shots at once another on Monday over a draft energy deal with Quebec as campaigns began for a general provincial election on Oct. 14.
ST. JOHN'S -- An imminent provincial election in Newfoundland and Labrador is a key opportunity for the public to demand transparency about a new energy agreement with Hydro-Quebec -- and possibly even halt it, say critics of the deal.
ST. JOHN'S -- An accountant who quit a panel overseeing energy negotiations between the electric utilities of Newfoundland and Labrador and Quebec says the public should be able to read his full resignation letter.
ST. JOHN'S -- A proposed offshore oilfield and a hydroelectricity deal with Quebec are two major projects in Newfoundland and Labrador that can increase the competitiveness of Canada's economy, Prime Minister Mark Carney said Monday in St. John's, N.L.
NEW-WES-VALLEY -- The affordable housing complex Mike Tiller is hoping for is unlike anything else in his community.
ST. JOHN'S -- Protesters have blockaded a Hydro-Quebec work site at a proposed hydroelectric project in traditional Innu territory in Labrador, prompting the utility to suspend its operations in the area.
ST. JOHN'S -- Despite a lagging market for green hydrogen, the Newfoundland and Labrador government says it still plans to collect royalties from the province's nascent renewable energy industry.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador is owed millions of dollars in fees from green energy companies, underlining growing doubts about whether promises of major projects and multi-billion dollar investments will pan out.
ST. JOHN'S -- Two voters in Newfoundland say they hope Elections Canada can learn from a dramatic judicial recount that revealed hundreds of people in their riding may have marked their ballots in the wrong spot.
ST. JOHN'S -- A new report explains how a judge dealt with an "unprecedented" number of disputed ballots during a federal election recount in a rural Newfoundland riding recently won by the Conservatives.
ST. JOHN'S -- A Newfoundland community that bills itself as the smallest town in Canada will soon be empty, and former residents say they'll never forget their joyful years living there.
ST. JOHN'S -- Liberals in Newfoundland and Labrador elected John Hogan as leader and the province's new premier designate on Saturday.
ST. JOHN'S -- Newfoundland and Labrador's Liberals will select a new leader on Saturday after Premier Andrew Furey shocked the province in February by announcing he would step down and return to medicine after almost five years in power.
ST. JOHN'S -- The Newfoundland and Labrador government is delaying its plan to balance the books for another year, with a new budget forecasting a $372-million deficit as the province navigates uncertainty from decisions made south of the border.
ST. JOHN'S -- A man who says his right to vote was denied in Newfoundland and Labrador's 2021 election will finally have his day in court.
ST. JOHN'S -- A man who says his right to vote was denied in Newfoundland and Labrador's 2021 election will finally have his day in court.
ST. JOHN'S -- More than half of Canada's provincial and territorial governments buy critical internet and emergency communications services from Starlink -- a satellite constellation owned by billionaire Elon Musk.
ST. JOHN'S -- As Canada vows to knock down internal trade barriers, unions representing workers at two large breweries in Newfoundland say easy beer sales between provinces would put local jobs at risk.
ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- The outgoing premier of Newfoundland and Labrador says he's drawing on the province's history as he urges Canadians not to underestimate U.S. President Donald Trump's "imperialist" ambitions.
ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- Atlantic Canadian premiers woke up Tuesday in a trade war with the United States.
ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- The surprising resignation of two well-liked Atlantic premiers has left some political experts shaking their heads in disbelief -- and marvelling at the mounting demands on anyone running a province.
ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- Only 110 people have enrolled so far in Newfoundland and Labrador's basic income program for some older adults, a figure advocates say underscores the complexity of traditional social assistance programs that often leave users afraid of losing benefits.
Every Saturday, Peter Mansbridge provides thoughtful takes on this week's news stories. Subscribe for FREE! You can unsubscribe any time.